Shoots, Scores-onset with TP in the Quest for Youth

Protege Mark "Billy" and Writer/ Director TP

Some people may already know I've been working on a short teleplay as part of Quest for Youth 2012. It's certainly no where near the biggest budget film I've been a part of - like " Hansel & Gretel" with Taylor Mumsen and Howie Mandel or ' Miracle Dogs' with Kate Jackson, but it is I dare say my best and most important to date. I call it Shoots, Scores. It could be the story of many a young person, told mostly through a teen boys eyes growing up in then 60's/70's and jumps us up to the present.

I believe I have captured on video, albeit low budget, the story I hoped to recreate and along with it some surprise footage that will add an extra "oomph"  - something every film needs to be deemed successful - whether 1 minute or 10 minutes or 2 hours. Something so that they leave the theatre going wow that was good! I'm hoping the piece brings people up and down and up again and leave them feeling good but with a message, many of which are scattered through the brilliantly written screenplay (I wrote it ha!). I must say it has been quite the experience and still is with still one scene to shoot and voice-over to capture as I stagger toward the editing line.
Actor Jason goofs around onset with a wig by Myers Costumes


I have until Wed to have a final version and they expect something by Monday. Meantime I've been juggling people, schedules, and my own to accommodate everything from Principals (not the actors) who have to have us off school property by 5pm, and kid actors who cant get there until 4, and others who can't until after 5, and parents, and those who can't make it and...!


On a production like this you also run into a hierarchy conflict with myself having the Tv and Film production experience and the live show's producer being from theatre. We film guys get certain shots for a reason and with a skeleton budget and working with volunteers, I don't have time to waste. Now he does want it to fit into the whole scheme of things of the whole live production of Quest For Youth which I do respect, and to keep within the them given that being marginaliztion and coming out from the shadows. But in the end this has to be able to stand alone as a film and one you don't mind putting your name to and to that end I believe it will be!

Today I shot some 'b" roll - cut off shots - of road hockey playing - just some tie ups to make it all look real in the end. Oh..did i tell you the kid playing main character has never played any hockey or road hockey for that matter,,so,,my work is cut out in editing! Lucky for me a fellow also playing a role(s) in the production now, Keith, has offered to come on-board to ensure we get this edited right!


This may be the lowest budget film I've worked on but I wouldn't trade being able to write, direct, act, operate camera, and play road hockey all in one project for anything!

Game on!


TP out!