Shoots, Scores Debuts at Quest for Youth 2012

I'm drained physically, and to be honest a little emotionally having just gotten through the Quest for Youth 2012. I'm also a little frustrated. Not that way! Keep your minds out of the gutter!

TP brought in Author David L Rogers to the live show
"Coming out of the shadows" sub theme
 Firstly I endured countless hours on it (this Quest For Youth), not so much on the life-like 'maze" workshop I assisted on as Street Outreach's Chaundra and YRDB's Scott did most of the work there, but having written and directed the video portion of the performance piece - and I can overlook not getting any verbal mention or stage accolades even though I brought in 75% of the youth and performers that were used in the show and then spent hours shooting, directing, re-shooting, even acting myself while operating the camera, doing voice-over, working with mostly completely 'green" actors to make them credible and a last 12 hour straight editing session (this is a very time consuming to clip scenes to just the right position and audio) all to ensure we got it all done

 - only to have the "professional" audio/video guy (not from Rogers) bring up the wrong clip to start it off with. Talk about a " Doh!" Moment!
TP introduced art phenom William to the Quest for Youth


I immediately jumped into action when it became apparent they'd started the wrong clip but after traveling half-way across a big hall, the usual array of blank scared-live-to-air faces looked back at me when I told them they were starting with the wrong one, so I sought out the production truck.

Every live production of size will have a production truck, you just have to look for it. As it happens I know someone there (at Rogers) and so all is well I suppose since we can get it right before it airs on Rogers TV via editing. Location Director Dan was good about it and as well I had a good chat with Rogers Executive Producer, David Blackwell, who I remember from when I produced and hosted a show for Rogers some years back called "Out & About".

It pre-dated the current models of "York Region Living" etc but had a more humour and skitsy- like on- location presentation, such as one time we spoofed Rocky with me training for a "chicken wing eating contest" which was a real event being held for a charity at a local eatery and we pre-taped me as "Jockey" training, then live-to-tape eating wings and fighting a giant chicken on location, all to the theme of Rocky. Ha.

I had labelled them 1 through 5. How do you screw that up?!
Thank goodness for Rogers TV as we can fix it before it airs!

Tom & Principal Actor Mark as "Billy" in Shoots, Scores
Anyway today was supposed to be my Rocky day, they were debuting my film. Not just me either. I'm still pissed about it ( although mellowing by the minute) because not only did I spend time on it but there were a lot of other people involved and in the production who also had expectations of seeing a complete production. The guy who did editing with me, K.G. Campbell, was up with me until 5 am working it to make sure we had it, only to see the opening scene left out, so he deserves the respect of the production completely shown as well. But I certainly don't regret the experience and got to do some good work with and meet some good people. And despite the missing scene many didn't seem to realize it or were still complimentary about it.

I may not have been up at the curtain call, but I certainly was more than an onlooker and will try to protect the integrity of the participants in this film, and to that end will endeavour to make sure the full production reaches the screens so everyone can go home happy - and I can finally rest. As a Film-maker you stress about these types of things because when people do see your work, you want them to love it or hate it based on what you did and were satisfied attaching your name to.

Tom Pearson