Actor Audition Opportunities..Never too old for the casting couch!

Actors have an interesting life to say the least. In my case I haven't really attacked being a full time or even a part time actor for tv and film for various reasons since I was in my 20's, but I never gave up the dream. As I gazed around the casting couch room full of competing 20 somethings, I wondered if it wasn't too late.

First, as a single dad it was next to impossible with the hours / times of day demanded and not steady enough to sustain you over the early years with kids, besides from my experience, having come home to a tits-up babysitter on my floor with a 3/4 empty bottle of rum on the table and a guilty looking roomer who you'd also had to rent a room out to to in order to survive skulking nearby, all night daycare was not an available option.

TP Original Producer / Co-creator / Performer while still in Film school
But I always kept a toe in "The Biz", and that is exactly what I told the likely Director and Casting Director the other day before exiting the audition room. I also thanked them for the opportunity and left( kissed ass with eye contact) thinking I'd almost aced it. There were a few things I could have done better, like my air guitar performance and my directed "mock anger to the cameraman look", but I'll come back to that.

I always keep my eyes to the ground for opportunities for anyone who comes across the TPE front, but on occasion something will spark that competitive spirit in me and personal desire to act / perform. I just didn't it expect to come in the form of a national campaign with me as one of three stooges-like characters dressed as giant condoms and projecting a message about " consent".

Time to explain. here's an excerpt from the casting search: 

Scenario 1

Superhero - The camera is close up on you. you’re a superhero that just saved the world from rickets, or something. look like it.


2) Hot dogs - look down in front of you. there is a hot dog assembly line, hundreds, thousands of wieners are going by …. after a while they start to look …… less than appetizing.


3) Tightrope - you’re standing facing stage right. you have to walk five feet, mimicking walking across a tightrope over a deep canyon.  


4) TV - you’re facing us, pretending to watch TV. we’ll toss you a tv convertor for a prop. we’ll provide the sound effex, every few seconds the channel on the TV changes, and we’re looking at you react to what you see on the screen. no one, of course, knows what’s on the screen. this is what you’ll hear.
5) Finally …. you gotta dance. ..60's style - you have about fifteen seconds.
Tom Pearson
We’ll play the music...

You Get the picture?...Sigh....Let's face it..if Actors are willing to resort to lowering themselves to such standards just to be a part of a national campaign as a giant condom then they, er we, are nothing more than common publicity whores, so I've changed my mind, I'm not interested in the role anymore........I wonder if they'll call? I hope so, Ah, er, I mean, I'm glad they haven't.

Hey! With the invent of products like VIAGARA, the casting couch is always in play as well, so never give up your dreams! Ha. See you in the movies!

TP Out!